Artist application deadline has passed.
Stay tuned for the reveal of the 2019 Artists!
Apply through ZAPPlication.
Quick Facts about Applying at MAF:
Application fee is $25. Booth fee is $150 / double space is $200.
Booth size is 10×10, tent
Prizes offered for winners:
Three BEST OF SHOW awards: 1st place – $800; 2nd place – $600; 3rd place – $400.
Three AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE – $150 each. All prior-year award winners are automatically invited to the 2019 festival.
Marshalltown Art Festival 2019
(formerly Linn Creek Arts Festival)
Event Dates: 7/20/19 – 7/20/19
Application Deadline: 3/8/19 Midnight CST
Images: 4 (a booth shot is required)
Application Fee (non-refundable): $25.00
The Marshalltown Art Festival jury consists of 7-10 individuals who are art professionals and art enthusiasts. The jury is overseen by the festival co-chairs during the process. The jury process takes place in one day via a single jury panel that scores applications by medium on a 1-5 scale. The jury is convened in one room and the process is not open to the public. Artist applications (sorted by medium and artist name), along with submitted pictures are provided to the jury and are also projected onto a screen during the process. Artists who are previous award winners of the 2017 festival and were accepted into the 2018 festival are automatically accepted. The jury does take into consideration artist history with the festival.
All applications from artists must submit an authentic booth image (that is, an actual photo/image of your booth, preferred outside booth image). All decisions of the jury are final. MAF reserves the right to reject any application if it does not comply with the covenants and rules set forth in the ZAPPlication document.
With a long history of hosting annual art festivals, Marshalltown welcomes you to join us for the 2019 Marshalltown Art Festival! Due to devastating tornado damage to our festival site, the 2018 festival was cancelled. With a community focused on rebuilding and restoring, we are thrilled to invite you to our 2019 festival!
Art has the power of healing. Art has the power of restoring. Art has the power of unifying. This is exactly what we intend to do with the 2019 Marshalltown Art Festival; continue to heal, restore and unify as a community! The Marshalltown Art Festival is coming back strong on Saturday, July 20th, 2019 in Downtown Marshalltown. The theme “Marshalltown Strong” and the one-year anniversary of the day the community began to rebuild will be celebrated.
- Date: Saturday, July 20, 10 AM to 5 PM, with special patrons’ sale opening at 9 AM.
- Location: Downtown Marshalltown, anchored by the beautiful, historic courthouse square.
- NEW: Extra-wide booth sites for maximized visibility of your artwork.
- Claim to fame: amazing, volunteer-driven hospitality! We would love to host YOU!
You are invited to apply to the 2019 Marshalltown Art Festival. In our prime Central Iowa location, we’ve grown and evolved from the Linn Creek Arts Festival at Fisher Community Center. Our new site will accommodate the increasing number of artists that we experience every year. Returning artists will experience the same top-notch hospitality and organization — with more of an urban feel.
You are sure to be WOWED by our all-volunteer hospitality! The Festival committee, under the leadership of the Marshall County Arts & Culture Alliance, is committed to delivering an event characterized by tasteful, original FINE art, with a balanced number of artists in each medium. It is the planning committee’s primary goal to host the highest quality art festival in Iowa and showcase the many wonderful offerings of Marshalltown. Art-loving attendees come from a seven-county, central-Iowa base (population approx. 250,000).
NOTE: Juried artists who were accepted in 2018 are automatically accepted into the 2019 festival, however you MUST STILL APPLY.
- December 14 – Application Available, non-refundable $25 application fee
- March 8 – Final Deadline
- Week of March 11 – Jury Process
- March 18 – Notify Artists of Acceptance
- April 19 – Deadline for Artists to Accept and Pay Booth fee
- May 31 – Refund Deadline, if you cancel after this date booth fees are non-refundable
- July 20 – Festival day, 10 AM-5 PM (artist check-in opens at 6 AM) Early Patron Sale starts at 9 AM
EARLY SHOPPING FOR ART PATRONS
In past events, our art patrons invested over $10,000 in the opening hours of the event. If you are interested in serving these early shoppers and can be set up by 9:00 AM, please complete the required information under special questions.
1. All booth spaces will be measured and marked off. It is the responsibility of the artist to prepare for all weather contingencies.
2. Set up begins Saturday at 6:00 AM, with judging beginning at 9:30 AM. No teardowns are accepted until the close of the event at 5:00 PM. Artists may not set up before they are checked in. Check-in begins at 6:00 AM Saturday.
3. All accepted artists must be present during all hours of the festival, and artists must personally staff their booths.
4. All work must be original in concept and execution and must be marked for sale; embellished commercial products are not allowed. Work done by a production studio, in classes or workshops, “Buy-sell” &/or imports, work from kits, & derivative work is prohibited.
5. All work displayed must be consistent with the work presented for jurying.
6. Artists are encouraged to be as specific as possible in describing processes and materials in the “description of material and technique” section of the application.
7. Invited artists are responsible to report Iowa sales tax (7%) and must supply their sales tax ID with this application.
8. In compliance with city ordinances, no pets are allowed on festival grounds.
9. The sale of original and/or non-original promotional items is prohibited. Promotional items include things but not limited to things like t-shirts, cups, hats, etc.
10. Artists who were accepted into the 2018 Marshalltown Art Festival are automatically accepted into the 2019 Festival, however, you must still apply.
BOOTH DESCRIPTIONS & FEES
- Our generous booth spacing accommodates 10 X 10 tents (single) or double sized tents, separated by at least 4 feet of common area between artists allowing for display both inside and out.
- Storage on sidewalk is NOT permitted.
- Booths will be lined facing inwards toward each other along Main Street.
- Booth fees are $150. Double booth spaces are limited and cost $200.
- If accepted, booth fees are due via ZAPPlication on or before April 19, 2019.
- Electric and Water Access: there is a limited number of booths available for this service. If needed, there is an additional fee of $25 and the request MUST BE noted at the time of application. Please note, generators are NOT allowed.
The $25 application fee is non-refundable. If cancellation is necessary after paying the booth fee, this must be done no later than May 31, and a $25 processing fee will be deducted from the refund. No refunds will be given for cancellations after May 31.
- 55-75 juried artists
- complimentary breakfast, afternoon snack and water delivery
- free, reserved and valet parking
- volunteer booth sitters
- website and social media promotion
- sales support through over $1000 in Festival Dollars
- reduced rates at local hotels
- complimentary Artist dinner Friday, July 19, before the Festival
- invitations to special event(s) and reception(s)
- exclusive “Express Lane” concessions
- air-conditioned restroom facilities
- projected attendance 3,500+
ARTIST CASH AWARDS
Three BEST OF SHOW awards: 1st place – $800; 2nd place – $600; 3rd place – $400.
Three AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE – $150 each.
NUMBER OF ARTISTS EXEMPT FROM JURY PROCESS
At least 10 will be exempt, mostly award winners from previous years and special invitation.
Please feel free to contact Amber Danielson, Executive Director of the Marshall County Arts & Culture Alliance,
641-752-2787, or email@example.com.
We look forward to your application!
One artist per application will be considered. If you represent an incorporated business, please list the second artist as partner or collaborator. Two distinct artists may not apply together or share the same booth space.
Neither pets nor smoking are allowed at this event.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]